The History and Importance of the Sanskrit Language
As yoga teachers, we use Sanskrit regularly– to cue asana, to communicate philosophical themes, to study the history and philosophy of yoga, and more. Why it’s so important as yoga professionals to have a basic knowledge of this sacred language?…
As yoga teachers, we use Sanskrit regularly– to cue asana, to communicate philosophical themes, to study the history and philosophy of yoga, and more.
- Why it’s so important as yoga professionals to have a basic knowledge of this sacred language?
- What are its origins?
- Why is it considered the language of the gods?
- What makes it so distinct?
Dr. Douglas Brooks– Professor of Religion at the University of Rochester and scholar of Hinduism, south Asian languages, and the comparative study of religions– answers these questions!
What’s in the eCourse?
Join Douglas for a compelling conversation ranging from Sanskrit’s linguistic origins to its role in cosmic relationships, and an understanding of the complete history of the Sanskrit language and what it means to you as a yoga professional.
The course aims to empower you as a yoga teacher with knowledge and is crucial for any Sanskrit-using professional and forms the foundation for “The Rasa of Sanskrit: The Essence of Correct Pronunciation,” which goes on to teach proper pronunciation of the most common yoga-related Sanskrit words and asana names.
How does it work?
- The course content is delivered via online streaming video and organized in 5-Modules with 32 lesson videos total.
- The course has a knowledge assessment at the end to help gauge your learning and to credit you as having completed the course.
- A discussion feature beneath each video is included so you can interact with Douglas and other 90 Monkeys yoga teachers about your insights and questions.
The total running time is 2 hrs and 30 minutes.
This eCourse meets Yoga Alliance’s non-contact hours requirements for continuing education.