The Rasa of Sanskrit: The Essence of Correct Pronunciation
Instructor: Dr. Douglas Brooks
Do you struggle to pronounce asana names in class? Do you stumble when trying to say words like "prasarita padottanasana", knowing you've probably emphasized the wrong syllable?
Dr. Douglas Brooks-- Professor of Religion at the University of Rochester and scholar of Hinduism, south Asian languages, and the comparative study of religions-- systematically presents the correct pronunciation of Sanskrit, specifically directing attention to asana names. This course is crucial for any teacher who wants to use Sanskrit and pronounce asana names with confidence.
What's in the eCourse?
The course includes:
- a comprehensive introduction to the Sanskrit alphabet;
- a thorough explanation of the importance and purpose of correct pronunciation; and
- a methodical recitation of asana names to follow along with, from the most commonly mispronounced asanas, to anatomical and descriptive asana names, to sages, dieties and animals, and more.
The more you recite the names along with Douglas through repeat visits to the course, you can use the videos as a tool to make correct asana name pronunciation second nature!
How does it work?
- The course content is delivered via online streaming video and organized in 3-Modules with 16 lesson videos total.
- It comes with two different Sanskrit alphabet handouts that include both Devanagari script and transliteration to guide your studies.
- The course also has a knowledge assessment at the end to help gauge your learning and to credit you as having completed the course.
- A discussion feature beneath each video is included so you can interact with Douglas and other 90 Monkeys yoga teachers about your insights and questions.
The running time is 1 hr and 43 minutes.
It is helpful but not necessary to take "The History and Importance of the Sanskrit Language " to establish a strong foundational understanding before moving on to "Learn to Pronounce Asana Names." We also recommend that you have a general understanding of yoga poses and a teacher training under your belt in order to get the most from the course. Helpful resources to have handy would include pose guides from your teacher training and/or asana reference picture books.
This eCourse meets Yoga Alliance's non-contact hours requirements for continuing education.
By purchasing this product I UNDERSTAND and AGREE to the TERMS AND CONDITIONS
This course contains copyrighted material only viewable by registrants of the course. Any sharing, reproduction, distribution of the course material without prior consent is expressly prohibited.
NOTE: For questions email: firstname.lastname@example.org
"I still sometimes mispronounce Sanskrit asana names despite studying Sanskrit for many years. "How to Pronounce Asana Names" eCourse with Douglas Brooks keeps me honest! If we're going to use Sanskrit words in yoga class, let's do it right!" - Amy