Be Prepared to Serve Prenatal Students in Your Open Classes
Instructor: Carole Westerman, MA, ERYT-500
What happens if you're not properly trained and a pregnant student walks into your open level yoga class. Are you caught flat-footed? Are you a resource for that student or a liability? If you have ever felt nervous or unsure of what to do when a pregnant woman takes your class, that's totally understandable, but you don't want to put your students at risk!
The best remedy for fear, nerves or lack of proper knowledge is education. As yoga teachers we have the opportunity to touch the lives of many. The yoga room can become a catalyst for positive transformation and personal evolution. As such, it is important that we create a culture in our general classes that is open and accepting to the variety of students that may walk through the studio doors. The largest population of current and potential yoga students are women, which is another reason that it is paramount that we educate and inform ourselves in the areas of pregnancy, pre and postnatal yoga.
In this course, Carole Westerman, MA, RPYT, RCYT, will help you:
- Be prepared to welcome a pregnant student and handle the multiple scenarios which can arise with pre and post natal students.
- Become educated about pregnancy, know the proper modifications for each trimester to keep the students safe, and be aware of what to expect in the time frame after childbirth, and how to take care of both prenatal and regular students simultaneously.
- Acquire knowledge about the experience of pregnancy and labor, postpartum and the related changes that occur in the pregnant body, including the common discomforts and issues common to each of these phases, so you can serve these students well!
What’s in this eCourse?
Carole will be your guide on this journey orienting you to common terminology, the related issues you need to know about as a yoga teacher, and how to welcome and include pre and postnatal students confidently in your general classes. You will be directed step-by-step through each trimester and the postpartum period and given many fresh ideas on modifications and alternatives that will keep your students safe, happy, and satisfied! This information will become yet another part of your “yoga teacher tool box”, and you will be able to easily adapt your classes to fit the needs of your pregnant and postpartum students. The course includes a knowledge assessment at the end to test how much you’ve learned and credit you as completing the course.
In the eCourse you will explore:
- A description of the prenatal demographic
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists “ACOG” Guidelines
- Key terms and conditions encountered during pregnancy
- Milestones and Common Discomforts of each trimester
- Why yoga and pregnancy are so compatible and how yoga can benefit pregnant students
- Strategies for enhancing fertility in potential mothers to be
- Creating connection with pregnant students
- Safety and liability issues
- “Core work”, inversions, and twists during pregnancy
- Setting the stage for success
- Yoga modifications for each trimester
- How to modify connecting vinyasa for pregnancy
- Effective alternatives and “swap-ins”
- Detailed information about modified poses
- Pranayama and bandhas during pregnancy
- Considerations when adjusting pregnant students
- A description of the postnatal demographic
- Key terms and conditions for the postnatal period
- When is it okay to return to practice after having a baby
- Core reintegration after pregnancy
- Answers to the most commonly asked questions
And, receive a printable Quick Reference Guide to each trimester!
How does it work?
The course content is delivered via online streaming video and organized into 7 modules with 38 video lessons total. The total running time is 4 hours and 40 minutes.
This course is designed specifically for yoga teachers who have already received their yoga training, or are in the process of receiving their training. This course is perfect for any yoga teacher, new or experienced, who needs a solid foundation and/or review of prenatal and postnatal modifications for their general classes. This course provides guidance for the new and/or experienced teacher with some fresh ideas on how to adapt their general classes for pre and postnatal students. It is well suited for teachers seeking additional information to supplement what they’ve already learned about serving this population. This course is a prerequisite for the advanced level course, Beyond the Basics: How to Teach Prenatal-Specific Yoga.
This eCourse meets Yoga Alliance’s non-contact hours requirements for continuing education.
Module 1: Pregnancy Foundations
Module 2: Why Yoga and Pregnancy Are So Compatible
Module 3: Yoga & Pregnancy
Module 4: Yoga Modifications Through the Trimesters
Module 5: Yoga and Pregnancy in General Classes
Module 6: Postnatal Students and Yoga
Module 7: Most Commonly Asked Questions (And Answers)
By purchasing this product I UNDERSTAND and AGREE to the following TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
We ask that you do not enroll in our courses casually - we have invested a great deal of time and energy into our programs and expect that you do the same.
Remember: you will have indefinite access to the program materials, so please do not request a refund because you haven't had time to go through the course or could not attend specific sessions (if live calls were part of the course). We are proud of our course offerings and have seen their results. So, if after implementing the course teachings, you find that our course has not improved your teaching and/or yoga business, we will happily refund your enrollment fee in full with the following terms:
- You've implemented the course teachings in your business.
- You have viewed all the videos, completed all of the course assignments and taken the knowledge assessment (if applicable).
- You've asked questions via email, the discussion section on individual videos or the course Facebook group (if applicable) to address your concerns or confusion as soon as possible.
- Destroy all course material.
You have until 30 days after purchase to request a refund. No exceptions. Please note we do not offer any partial refunds for missed sessions (if live calls were part of your course).
This course contains copyrighted material only viewable by registrants of the course. Any sharing, reproduction, distribution of the course material without prior consent is expressly prohibited.
Disclaimer for Live Sessions In the event of power outages, acts of god, or other unexpected circumstances the session in question will be rescheduled. Refunds will not be issued.
NOTE: For questions email: firstname.lastname@example.org