Anatomy 101 for Yoga Teachers: Wonders of the Central Skeleton and Joints
Instructor: Ariele Foster, DPT
The body articulates via hundreds of joints into thousands of possible asanas. A steady yoga asana practice sustains and expands the body’s range of motion. As we know, pressing into the edge of our physical possibility can create beautiful backbends and other shapes, or can lead to injury.
Why is understanding the central skeleton and spine necessary for yoga teachers?
- It will bolster your confidence while teaching yoga to a wide range of bodies
- It will enable you to teach classes where student breakthroughs occur as a norm
- It will expand your capacit to keep students safe
- It will improve your ability to teach appropriately to students' past and/or lingering injuries
- It will provide you with a gauge to measure your flexibility and that of your students
This course invites yoga teachers and practitioners to discern intelligently how we expand our range of motion. It reveals secrets of our joints, ligaments, proprioception, hormones, one’s underlying “flexibility” and precise detail about the skeleton’s central structures in relation to an asana practice.
Classes where student breakthroughs occur as a norm and where injury is not a common word -- they are not based on intuition alone. Those teachers harness the best understanding of anatomy as it relates to asana. That is what we offer in this course.
What’s in this eCourse?
The Wonder of Bones and Joints is designed to provide relevant, lively insight into bones, joints and the axial skeleton and expand your confidence and capacity to keep students safe.
It is a digestible download of Ariele's extensive study of anatomy and biomechanics in her quest for her physical therapy doctorate, 13 years of teaching yoga, and her experience healing patient injuries, including her own injury from yoga.
In this eCourse, you will discover:
- The inner structure of joints
- Ligament properties, and the changes that occur with sprains
- Proprioception, or where you are in space
- An easy flexibility test used by medical professionals
- Relevant structures of vertebrae and the spine
- The structures of the pelvis
- How to stabilize SI (sacroiliac) joints
- Ribs and how they move with breath
- The basics of common pathologies affecting bones and joints, including: Osteoporosis, Spinal stenosis, Arthritis, Radiculopathy and Sciatica
… all while referencing asana to keep the content alive for you
Deeper confidence while teaching yoga to a wide range of bodies.
How does it work?
The course content is delivered via online streaming video and organized in 6 Modules with 9 lesson videos total, plus a downloadable glossary of terms. The course also has a knowledge assessment at the end to help gauge your learning and to credit you as having completed the course. A discussion feature on the first page of the course under the video is included so you can interact with Ariele and other 90 Monkeys yoga teachers about your insights and questions. The total running time is one hour. While viewing these videos be ready to stand up and try some yoga poses with Ariele to experience your bones directly!
This course is designed specifically for all yoga teachers wishing to gain more credibility and expertise in their field and inspire their students through a more thorough understanding of the human body. It is also great for dedicated yoga practitioners wishing to deepen their practice through a greater grasp of human movement and asana. Some knowledge of sanskrit asana names is helpful.
This eCourse meets Yoga Alliance's non-contact hours requirements for continuing education.
Module 1: Get to Know Your Joints
Module 2: Ligaments, Joint Flexibility and Where You Are In Space
Module 3: Essence of the Spine
Module 4: The Pelvic Bowl
Module 5: The Thorax
Module 6: Select Conditions
By purchasing this product I UNDERSTAND and AGREE to the following TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
We ask that you do not enroll in our courses casually - we have invested a great deal of time and energy into our programs and expect that you do the same.
Remember: you will have indefinite access to the program materials, so please do not request a refund because you haven't had time to go through the course or could not attend specific sessions (if live calls were part of the course). We are proud of our course offerings and have seen their results. So, if after implementing the course teachings, you find that our course has not improved your teaching and/or yoga business, we will happily refund your enrollment fee in full with the following terms:
- You've implemented the course teachings in your business.
- You have viewed all the videos, completed all of the course assignments and taken the knowledge assessment (if applicable).
- You've asked questions via email, the discussion section on individual videos or the course Facebook group (if applicable) to address your concerns or confusion as soon as possible.
- Destroy all course material.
You have until 30 days after purchase to request a refund. No exceptions. Please note we do not offer any partial refunds for missed sessions (if live calls were part of your course).
This course contains copyrighted material only viewable by registrants of the course. Any sharing, reproduction, distribution of the course material without prior consent is expressly prohibited.
Disclaimer for Live Sessions In the event of power outages, acts of god, or other unexpected circumstances the session in question will be rescheduled. Refunds will not be issued.
NOTE: For questions email: firstname.lastname@example.org