Anatomy 101 for Yoga Teachers: Essential Language & Terminology
Instructor: Ariele Foster, DPT
Yoga teachers are among the most gifted modern educators of the body. We are considered by yoga students to be leaders in health and wellness. Yet in group and private sessions, we are often asked to address complex real-life physical challenges for which teacher trainings have not necessarily prepared us.
Even for yoga practitioners who do not teach, an understanding of anatomy can open up all kinds of new possibilities in your practice!
Why Is Basic Anatomy Education So Important For Teachers (& Yoga Practitioners)?
- It gives you a better understanding of anatomical principles behind each asana.
- It will give clarity and accuracy to your verbal cues for teachers.
- It will improve your capacity to understand your own and your students’ current limitations and potential.
- It will prepare you for deeper studies in therapeutics and biomechanics, prevention of injury, healing yourself and others!
- It gives you and your teaching more credibility, expertise and professionalism.
This course is designed to root your teaching and yoga practice in the solid ground of anatomic understanding. Foundational anatomy can feel abstract or tedious, but when applied to something you love, like yoga asana, it transforms into enriching fuel for your teaching and practice.
This course helps you to overcome barriers to grasping anatomy in a way that involves your passion, your senses and invites kinesthetic experience.
What’s in this eCourse?
Ariele Foster, PT, DPT, E-RYT 500 takes you through a step by step orientation to the vocabulary for proficiency in basic anatomic medical terminology with specific application to asana. You will build confidence and harness the common language of doctors and other healers. The course includes diagrams, anatomical images, a Terms Glossary with definitions of basic terminology with practical examples, three paced knowledge assessments to solidify your understanding and credit you as completing the course, and a real life model (Jack Cuneo) to demonstrate anatomical movement in asana.
In this eCourse, you will learn:
- Anatomic position, the universal basis for describing the human body
- Orientation terminology: language to clarify locations each body part in asana
- Planes of movement: spatial understanding during transitions or static poses
- Movement terminology: describing precise placement pose to pose
- Hyper- and hypomobility, and how to see and address the spectrum in your teaching
- Ways to translate and cue asana anatomically without intimidating students or talking in a “different language”
- Valuable knowledge to support your own asana practice.
… all while referencing asana to keep the content alive for you!
How does it work?
The course content is delivered via online streaming video and organized in 5 Modules with 10 lesson videos total, plus a full downloadable glossary of terms. The course also has a knowledge assessment at the end to help gauge your learning and to credit you as having completed the course. A discussion feature on the first page of the course under the video is included so you can interact with Ariele and other 90 Monkeys yoga teachers about your insights and questions. The total running time is just under 1 hour.
This course is designed specifically for all yoga teachers wishing to gain more credibility and expertise in their field and inspire their students through a more thorough understanding of the human body, and how it lines up. It is also great for dedicated yoga practitioners wishing to deepen their practice through a greater grasp of human movement and asana.
This eCourse meets Yoga Alliance’s non-contact hours requirements for continuing education.
Module 1: Orienting to the body
Module 2: Describing Movement
Module 3: Sun Salute in Anatomic Language
Module 4: Biomechanic Basics and Hypermobility
Module 5: Integration
By purchasing this product I UNDERSTAND and AGREE to the following TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
We ask that you do not enroll in our courses casually - we have invested a great deal of time and energy into our programs and expect that you do the same.
Remember: you will have indefinite access to the program materials, so please do not request a refund because you haven't had time to go through the course or could not attend specific sessions (if live calls were part of the course). We are proud of our course offerings and have seen their results. So, if after implementing the course teachings, you find that our course has not improved your teaching and/or yoga business, we will happily refund your enrollment fee in full with the following terms:
- You've implemented the course teachings in your business.
- You have viewed all the videos, completed all of the course assignments and taken the knowledge assessment (if applicable).
- You've asked questions via email, the discussion section on individual videos or the course Facebook group (if applicable) to address your concerns or confusion as soon as possible.
- Destroy all course material.
You have until 30 days after purchase to request a refund. No exceptions. Please note we do not offer any partial refunds for missed sessions (if live calls were part of your course).
This course contains copyrighted material only viewable by registrants of the course. Any sharing, reproduction, distribution of the course material without prior consent is expressly prohibited.
Disclaimer for Live Sessions In the event of power outages, acts of god, or other unexpected circumstances the session in question will be rescheduled. Refunds will not be issued.
NOTE: For questions email: firstname.lastname@example.org